An IMPORTANT part of troop management is having control over your troop's account. It’s a great topic to engage the girls with! Here are the forms and info you need to keep your troop account out of the RED. Troop financials are due every JUNE using the Volunteer Toolkit Finance Tab. See MANAGING TROOP FINANCES for more information.
Troop Financial Management
- Local Options for No Fee Banks
- Sales Tax Exemption form - Use this form at stores when purchasing items you would normally be charged sales tax on, like crafts, camping equipment, etc. Special notes:
- Walmart: Do not bring this form to the register. Go to Customer Service first with the tax exempt form to receive a reusable tax-exception card to use at the register each time you shop. Girl Scouts Heart of New Jersey is already on file.
- Michaels: Bring a blank copy of the Sales Tax Exemption form for reference, but you will complete Michaels' own form each time
- Quick Tips for Troop Finances
- An Intro to Managing Troop Finances
- Managing your Troop Account Guide from Council
- Troop Money Earner - Guide from Council
Managing Your Troop Account
To manage you troop account, here's some great information: Managing Your Troop Account
Annual Troop Finance Reports are submitted annually no later than June 20th to council through the Volunteer Toolkit Finance Tab in Volunteer Systems.
A Finance Tracking Template has been developed to assist troops in keeping strong financial records. It is available in Excel format for download. Alternatively, you can save a copy of the Google Sheets version to your personal or troop Google Drive in order to have an editable copy. If you have questions, contact the SU Treasurer, gs.su72Treasurer@gmail.com
Disbanding/Transitioning & Graduating Troops
Before a troop is disbanded or graduated money in the troop account must be fully used. If some of the girls are continuing with another troop or as an individual registered member, a portion of the bank balance should move with them. If there is money left and none of the girls are continuing with Girls Scouts then the balance should be turned over to the Service Unit or Council.